Oregano Essential Oil*
*This oil is produced from organically grown crops and is certified by our supplier. However, our facility is not certified organic. You get it though. ;-)
Botanical Name: Origanum vulgare
Plant Origin: Turkey
Extraction Method: Steam distilled from leaves (*organic, but not certified)
Shelf Life: 3 years in proper storage conditions
Storage: Store upright, lid tight, out of direct heat and sunlight
Maximum Adult Topical Dilution: 1%
Selah oil blends that contain Oregano essential oil:
Click here to see our Health Issues Reference Guide for information on which oils may help with specific needs.
Grapefruit may support the body's proper natural response to and assist in maintaining a healthy state of the following:
- Fungal Skin Infections - Skin Candida - Ringworm
- Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
- Neurological Issues
Please see our Health Issues Reference Guide for detailed essential oil remedies for the above-listed issues/topics.
For more info about Oregano essential oil, click here.
- analgesic - deadens or relieves pain; anodyne
- anthelmintic - destroys or expels worms and parasites; vermifuge
- antibacterial - prevents bacterial growth
- antifungal - prevents fungal growth
- antimicrobial - resists or destroys pathogenic microorganisms
- antiseptic - destroys and prevents the development of microbes/bacteria
- antiviral - inhibits the growth of virus
- expectorant - promotes the discharge of mucous from the respiratory system
- rubefacient - irritant; reddening the skin; an agent that reddens the skin by producing hyperemia
- stimulant - excites or quickens the activity of physiological processes
Dilute and apply on location as desired. Dilute this oil very well. It is considered "hot" and will make your skin very uncomfortable. However, applying diluted to the soles of the feet will not normally cause this "hot" feeling.
It is recommended to avoid this essential oil during pregnancy and lactation.
Click here for the essential oils dilution chart.
Maximum Adult Topical Dilution: 1%
Diffuse only with other suitable essential oils. Oregano is very "hot" and can be very irritating to the mucous membranes if not blended in a very low percentage with other essential oils.
Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) by the FDA
Due to the high potential of oregano to irritate the skin, internal is the preferred method of use via a capsule, diluted in a carrier (Dr. Kurt Schnaubelt). Internal use is rarely needed, but when it is deemed appropriate, Dr. Schnaubelt says that "generally 1 drop is always enough when ingesting essential oils".
Although the quality of Selah Oils is excellent, it is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a certified physician who is also certified in aromatherapy. We recommend getting internal dosing instructions from a licensed physician as some essential oils are not recommended for oral consumption. This is in no way a reflection on our oil quality, only a matter of safety and caution with respect to how concentrated essential oils are. When used within safe parameters, and under your physician's care, the quality of our essential oils is such that they can be used internally if deemed appropriate.
However, with that said, it is important to remember the extreme concentration of essential oils. "Using essential oils by rubbing them into the skin or via inhalation is in many cases more effective than oral delivery" (3. p. 96).
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion.
Humulene <alpha> 0.89%
Contraindicated for asthma. (Avoid using with asthma.)
Avoid using this oil while pregnant or breastfeeding.
Caution, do not use on children under 2.
Oregano is a very "hot" oil. This means that it has an irritating, uncomfortable effect when it comes in contact with the skin. To avoid any discomfort, be sure to dilute this essential oil VERY well with a carrier. Do not apply to diseased or damaged skin.
General EO Cautions:
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion. It is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a licensed physician who is also certified in aromatherapy.
If for any reason you get essential oils in your eyes, put carrier oil along the eyebrows above the eyes and on the cheekbones below the eyes.
Do not put essential oils inside the ear canal.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Worwood, Valerie. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. Novato: New World Library. Revised 2016. Print.
- Worwood, Valerie. Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child. Novato: New World Library. 2000. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Advanced Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1998. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 2011. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Medical Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1999. Print.
- Price, Shirley. Price, Len. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. Fourth edition, 2012. Print.
- Tisserand, Robert, et al. Essential Oil Safety: a Guide for Health Care Professionals. Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2014. Print.
- Aletha Press. Essential Oils Natural Remedies: The Complete A-Z Reference of Essential Oils for Health and Healing. Berkeley: Aletha Press. 2015. Print.
- Davis, Patricia. Aromatherapy an A-Z. London: Vermillion. 2000. Print.
- Higley, Connie & Alan. Reference Guide for Essential Oils. Spanish Fork: Abundant Life. 2012. Print.
- Purchon, Nerys and Lora Cantele. The Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook For Everyday Wellness. Toronto: Robert Rose. 2014. Print.
- Buckle, Jane. Clinical Aromatherapy Essential Oils in Practice. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2003. Print.
Selah Oils ships via USPS, which typically has a 3-5 day delivery time. Your order will ship in 1-2 business days.
United States: We offer FREE shipping for orders over $59. Orders under $59 are $6 for flat rate shipping.
Canada: $10.00 flat rate shipping.
For Shipping Policies Click Here