Nutmeg Essential Oil*
*This oil is produced from unsprayed crops - meaning that it is organically grown but not certified.
Warming, comforting, and revitalizing, Nutmeg Essential Oil fuels that inner fire - one of determined knowing, quiet zeal, and bold tranquility. Nutmeg leans heavy on lifting the mood and loosening the body when either of them seem too cool, stiff, sore, or tender. This age-old oil helps to reignite the passion for life, while not overwhelming the senses.
Nutmeg smells of the sweet warmth of the forest with a wink of energizing spice.
Botanical Name: Myristica fragrans
Plant Origin: Indonesia
Extraction Method: Steam distilled from seeds (*organically grown but not certified)
Shelf Life: 4 yrs in proper storage conditions
Storage: Store upright, lid tight, out of direct heat and sunlight
Maximum Adult Topical Dilution: 0.8% (about 2-3 drops per ounce of carrier)
Maximum Topical Dilution during Pregnancy: 4%
Selah oil blends that contain Nutmeg essential oil:
Balance, Indigo, Amber Days (seasonal), Holiday Home (seasonal)
Please see our Health Issues Reference Guide for detailed essential oil remedies listed by issue/topic.
Nutmeg Essential Oil may support the body's proper natural response to and assist in maintaining a healthy state of the following:
- Chronic Vomiting
- Digestion - particularly to assist in assimilating food
- Fainting - inhale after
- Food Poisoning
- Immune System
- Mental Clarity
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Oral - improves bad breath
- Stomach Flu
Please see our Health Issues Reference Guide for detailed essential oil remedies for the above-listed issues/topics.
- analgesic - deadens or relieves pain; anodyne
- anthelmintic - destroys or expels worms and parasites; vermifuge
- antifungal - prevents fungal growth
- anti-infectious - prevents uptake of infection
- antimicrobial - resists or destroys pathogenic microorganisms
- antiseptic - destroys and prevents the development of microbes/bacteria
- astringent - causes contraction of organic tissues, reducing secretions or discharges
- depurative - purifies the system, particularly the blood
- digestive - promotes or aids digestion
- diuretic - aids in removal of excess water from the body; promotes urination
- febrifuge - supports the combat, reduction, or elimination of fever
- tonic - strengthens or invigorates organs or the entire organism
Dilute and apply location as desired. Topical maximum application is 0.8% dilution based on 3.3% safrole and 1.2% methyleugenol content.
Ok for children 6+ with proper dilution.
It is advised to use this essential oil with caution during pregnancy and lactation.
Click here for the essential oils dilution chart.
Diffuse (undiluted) or inhale directly.
Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) by the FDA
Although the quality of Selah Oils is excellent, it is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a certified physician who is also certified in aromatherapy. We recommend getting internal dosing instructions from a licensed physician as some essential oils are not recommended for oral consumption. This is in no way a reflection on our oil quality, only a matter of safety and caution with respect to how concentrated essential oils are. When used within safe parameters, and under your physician's care, the quality of our essential oils is such that they can be used internally if deemed appropriate.
However, with that said, it is important to remember the extreme concentration of essential oils. "Using essential oils by rubbing them into the skin or via inhalation is in many cases more effective than oral delivery" (Schnaubelt 96).
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion.
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion. It is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a licensed physician who is also certified in aromatherapy.
Take considerate caution if using this oil while pregnant and breastfeeding. Tisserand recommends that topical use be restricted to 0.8% maximum and 0.4% during pregnancy.
Not suitable for use with children under 6 years and should be used in greater dilution for children over 6 years.
"While nutmeg contains both carcinogens and anticarcinogens, the anticarcinogens are present in higher concentrations, and the existing data suggest either that the oil is not carcinogenic or that it is anticarcinogenic." -Tisserand (7., pp. 366-367)
Can be psychotrophic in high doses.
Topical maximum application is 0.8% dilution based on 3.3% safrole and 1.2% methyleugenol content.
If for any reason you get essential oils in your eyes, put carrier oil along the eyebrows above the eyes and on the cheekbones below the eyes.
Do not put essential oils inside your ear canal.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
GC/MS Key Constituents
- Worwood, Valerie. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. Novato: New World Library. Revised 2016. Print.
- Worwood, Valerie. Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child. Novato: New World Library. 2000. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Advanced Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1998. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 2011. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Medical Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1999. Print.
- Price, Shirley. Price, Len. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. Fourth edition, 2012. Print.
- Tisserand, Robert, et al. Essential Oil Safety: a Guide for Health Care Professionals. Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2014. Print.
- Aletha Press. Essential Oils Natural Remedies: The Complete A-Z Reference of Essential Oils for Health and Healing. Berkeley: Aletha Press. 2015. Print.
- Davis, Patricia. Aromatherapy an A-Z. London: Vermillion. 2000. Print.
- Higley, Connie & Alan. Reference Guide for Essential Oils. Spanish Fork: Abundant Life. 2012. Print.
- Purchon, Nerys and Lora Cantele. The Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook For Everyday Wellness. Toronto: Robert Rose. 2014. Print.
- Buckle, Jane. Clinical Aromatherapy Essential Oils in Practice. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2003. Print.
Selah Oils ships via USPS, which typically has a 3-5 day delivery time. Your order will ship in 1-2 business days.
United States: We offer FREE shipping for orders over $59. Orders under $59 are $6 for flat rate shipping.
Canada: $10.00 flat rate shipping.
For Shipping Policies Click Here