Fennel Essential Oil (Sweet)*
*This oil is produced from unsprayed crops - meaning that it is organically grown but not certified.
Fennel is renowned the world over for its benefits in digestion and dental health. Ancient uses include regulating menstrual cycles and supporting the joints and muscles.
Greeks and Romans believed it helped with eyesight, lactation, and menstrual problems and also that it gave strength and long life.
This sweet-smelling oil is accompanied by aromatic hints of licorice, anise, earth, and pepper. It should be used in very small amounts and only in the short term.
Botanical Name: Foeniculum vulgare - not to be confused with bitter fennel
Plant Origin: USA
Extraction Method: Steam distilled from seeds (organically grown but not certified)
Shelf Life: 4 years in proper conditions
Storage: Store upright, lid tight, out of direct heat and sunlight
Maximum Adult Topical Dilution: 2.5% - 5%
Selah oil blends that contain Fennel essential oil:
- Appetite Stimulant
- Colon, Colitis
- Hot Flashes
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Enteritis
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) & Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
For more information about Fennel essential oil click here.
- analgesic - deadens or relieves pain; anodyne
- anti-inflammatory - reduces inflammation
- antiseptic - destroys and prevents the development of microbes/bacteria
- antispasmodic - prevents and eases spasms, convulsions, or cramps
- carminative - expels gas (flatulence), easing abdominal pain and bloating
- depurative - purifies the system, particularly the blood
- diuretic - aids in removal of excess water from the body; promotes urination
- emmenagogue - promotes or assists menstruation
- expectorant - promotes the discharge of mucous from the respiratory system
- spasmolytic - antispasmodic - supports the ceasing of spasms
- stomachic - digestive aid and tonic; improving the appetite
- vermifuge - expels intestinal worms
Apply diluted to affected area as desired.
Ok for children 6+
It is recommended to avoid this essential oil during pregnancy and lactation.
Click here for the essential oils dilution chart.
Maximum Adult Topical Dilution: 2.5% - 5%
Diffuse or inhale directly.
Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) by the FDA
Although the quality of Selah Oils is excellent, it is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a certified physician who is also certified in aromatherapy. We recommend getting internal dosing instructions from a licensed physician as some essential oils are not recommended for oral consumption. This is in no way a reflection on our oil quality, only a matter of safety and caution with respect to how concentrated essential oils are. When used within safe parameters, and under your physician's care, the quality of our essential oils is such that they can be used internally if deemed appropriate.
However, with that said, it is important to remember the extreme concentration of essential oils. "Using essential oils by rubbing them into the skin or via inhalation is in many cases more effective than oral delivery" (Schnaubelt 96).
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion.
Repeated use can result in contact sensitization.
May cause skin sensitization if oxidized. To prevent oxidation, store in a dark, airtight container in a refrigerator.
Use with caution if susceptible to epilepsy.
Contraindicated for pregnancy, breastfeeding and children under 5 years of age.
Avoid using if diagnosed with estrogen dependent cancer, endometriosis, or clotting disorder.
Avoid using with Hypothyroidism.
General EO Cautions:
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion. It is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a licensed physician who is also certified in aromatherapy.
If for any reason you get essential oils in your eyes, put carrier oil along the eyebrows above the eyes and on the cheekbones below the eyes.
Do not put essential oils inside your ear canal.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
GC/MS Key Constituents:
alpha pinene 11.78%
alpha phellandrene 0.70%
- Worwood, Valerie. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. Novato: New World Library. Revised 2016. Print.
- Worwood, Valerie. Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child. Novato: New World Library. 2000. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Advanced Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1998. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 2011. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Medical Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1999. Print.
- Price, Shirley. Price, Len. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. Fourth edition, 2012. Print.
- Tisserand, Robert, et al. Essential Oil Safety: a Guide for Health Care Professionals. Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2014. Print.
- Aletha Press. Essential Oils Natural Remedies: The Complete A-Z Reference of Essential Oils for Health and Healing. Berkeley: Aletha Press. 2015. Print.
- Davis, Patricia. Aromatherapy an A-Z. London: Vermillion. 2000. Print.
- Higley, Connie & Alan. Reference Guide for Essential Oils. Spanish Fork: Abundant Life. 2012. Print.
- Purchon, Nerys and Lora Cantele. The Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook For Everyday Wellness. Toronto: Robert Rose. 2014. Print.
- Buckle, Jane. Clinical Aromatherapy Essential Oils in Practice. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2003. Print.
Selah Oils ships via USPS, which typically has a 3-5 day delivery time. Your order will ship in 1-2 business days.
United States: We offer FREE shipping for orders over $59. Orders under $59 are $6 for flat rate shipping.
Canada: $10.00 flat rate shipping.
For Shipping Policies Click Here