Grapefruit Essential Oil*
*This oil is organically grown and certified by our supplier. However, our facility is not certified organic. You get it though. ;-)
The energizing, uplifting fragrance of Grapefruit seems to make that happy feeling just seep right in in the most gentle way.
While we know that essential oils do not affect the spirit of a person, we do know that oils can have an incredibly positive effect on emotions.
Lighthearted and happy, Grapefruit essential oil bubbles with optimism as it offers liberating, yet composed, encouragement to both the mind and body.
Botanical Name: Citrus Paradisi
Plant Origin: USA
Extraction Method: Expressed (certified organic by our supplier)
Shelf Life: 1 year after opening - refrigerate if possible
Storage: Store upright, lid tight, out of direct heat and sunlight
Recommended Adult Topical Dilution: 4-5% (the possibility of a photosensitizing effect is very minimal)
Selah essential oil blends that use Grapefruit essential oil:
Grapefruit may support the body's proper natural response to and assist in maintaining a healthy state of the following:
- Alertness, focus, memory
- Blood - broken vessels, anticoagulant (prevents clotting)
- Body odor
- Depression, sadness
- Drugs - detox and withdrawal from addiction
- Hormone balance
- Liver - detox
- Lymph - Adenitis
- PMS & PMDD - angry, aggressive, depressed, weepy, apathetic, tired, listless
- Strep throat
- Stress - blue light, computer, electronic, eye strain, screens, tech, visual
One of the most important distinctions between Grapefruit oil and the other citrus oils is that it is not a photosensitizer (9, p. 134).
Grapefruit is a valuable oil for fluid retention, cellulite and other conditions where toxins are not being eliminated effectively, being a diuretic, detoxifier, and a stimulant of the lymphatic system (9, p. 134-135).
Essential Oils and Possible Interactions with Prescription Drugs, click here.
For more information on pubmed.gov for Grapefruit oil click here.
- anti-infectious - prevents uptake of infection
- antiseptic - destroys and prevents the development of microbes/bacteria
- cholagogue - stimulates the secretion and flow of bile into the duodenum
- depurative - purifies the system, particularly the blood
- digestive - promotes or aids digestion
- diuretic - aids in removal of excess water from the body; promotes urination
- hepatic - relating to the liver, tones and aids its function
- immunostimulant - stimulates the action of the immune system
- tonic - strengthens or invigorates organs or the entire organism
Apply diluted to bottoms of feet or directly on area of concern.
Ok for children 2+ with proper dilution.
Pregnancy and lactation safe with extra dilution.
Click here for the essential oils dilution chart.
Diffuse or inhale directly.
Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) by the FDA.
Although the quality of Selah Oils is excellent, it is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a certified physician who is also certified in aromatherapy. We recommend getting internal dosing instructions from a licensed physician as some essential oils are not recommended for oral consumption. This is in no way a reflection on our oil quality, only a matter of safety and caution with respect to how concentrated essential oils are. When used within safe parameters, and under your physician's care, the quality of our essential oils is such that they can be used internally if deemed appropriate.
However, with that said, it is important to remember the extreme concentration of essential oils. "Using essential oils by rubbing them into the skin or via inhalation is in many cases more effective than oral delivery" (Schnaubelt 96).
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion.
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion. It is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a licensed physician who is also certified in aromatherapy.
"Based on the IC50 values for CYP2A4 inhibition and the concentrations of pergamottin and pergapten in grapefruit oil, it is not at all likely to cause drug interactions" (Tisserand). This means that the chances of this oil interacting with medications are minimal.
May cause skin sensitization if oxidized. To prevent oxidation, store in a dark, airtight container in a refrigerator.
If for any reason you get essential oils in your eyes, put carrier oil along the eyebrows above the eyes and on the cheekbones below the eyes.
Do not put essential oils inside your ear canal.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
GC/MS Key Constituents:
- Worwood, Valerie. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. Novato: New World Library. Revised 2016. Print.
- Worwood, Valerie. Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child. Novato: New World Library. 2000. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Advanced Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1998. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 2011. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Medical Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1999. Print.
- Price, Shirley. Price, Len. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. Fourth edition, 2012. Print.
- Tisserand, Robert, et al. Essential Oil Safety: a Guide for Health Care Professionals. Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2014. Print.
- Aletha Press. Essential Oils Natural Remedies: The Complete A-Z Reference of Essential Oils for Health and Healing. Berkeley: Aletha Press. 2015. Print.
- Davis, Patricia. Aromatherapy an A-Z. London: Vermillion. 2000. Print.
- Higley, Connie & Alan. Reference Guide for Essential Oils. Spanish Fork: Abundant Life. 2012. Print.
- Purchon, Nerys and Lora Cantele. The Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook For Everyday Wellness. Toronto: Robert Rose. 2014. Print.
- Buckle, Jane. Clinical Aromatherapy Essential Oils in Practice. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2003. Print.
Selah Oils ships via USPS, which typically has a 3-5 day delivery time. Your order will ship in 1-2 business days.
United States: We offer FREE shipping for orders over $59. Orders under $59 are $6 for flat rate shipping.
Canada: $10.00 flat rate shipping.