Lemongrass Essential Oil*
*This oil is produced from organically grown crops and is certified by our supplier. However, our facility is not certified organic. You get it though. ;-)
Did you know that Lemongrass* has shown to be effective in lowering cholesterol, repairing connective tissues like muscles and ligaments, and beating Staph and Strep?
This seemingly insignificant, tropical grass packs a power punch of therapeutic properties and has been used for centuries in places like India and Southeast Asia to treat infections, respiratory issues, stomach problems, fever, and other issues.
Plant Origin: India
Extraction Method: Steam distilled from leaves (*organic, but not certified)
Shelf Life: 4 yrs in proper storage conditions
Storage: Store upright, lid tight, out of direct heat and sunlight
Maximum Adult Topical Dilution: 0.7%
Maximum Topical Dilution during Pregnancy: 0.5%
Selah oil blends that contain Lemongrass essential oil:
Lemongrass Essential Oil may support the body's proper natural response to and assist in maintaining a healthy state of the following:
- Athlete's Foot
- Body Odor
- Fungal Skin Infections
- High Cholesterol
- Hyperthyroid - Grave's Disease
- Hypothyroid - Hashimoto's Disease
- Insect Bites and Stings
- Kidneys (Diuretic)
- Ligaments - Sprains or Tears
- Lymph - Adenitis
- Malaria - Prevention
- Muscle - Bruised, Sore, Tight, etc.
- Muscle Spasm
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Sprains or Torn Ligaments
- Strep Throat
- Stretch Marks
- Tissue Repair or Regeneration
Please see our Health Issues Reference Guide for detailed essential oil remedies for the above-listed issues/topics.
- analgesic - deadens or relieves pain; anodyne
- anthelmintic - destroys or expels worms and parasites; vermifuge
- antifungal - prevents fungal growth
- anti-infectious - prevents uptake of infection
- antimicrobial - resists or destroys pathogenic micro organisms
- antiseptic - destroys and prevents the development of microbes/bacteria
- astringent - causes contraction of organic tissues, reducing secretions or discharges
- depurative - purifies the system, particularly the blood
- digestive - promotes or aids digestion
- diuretic - aids in removal of excess water from the body; promotes urination
- febrifuge - supports the combat, reduction, or elimination of fever
- tonic - strengthens or invigorates organs or the entire organism
Dilute and apply on lower abdomen or other location as desired
Ok for children 2+ with proper dilution.
It is advised to use this essential oil with caution during pregnancy and lactation.
Click here for the essential oils dilution chart.
Diffuse (undiluted) or inhale directly.
Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) by the FDA
Although the quality of Selah Oils is excellent, it is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a certified physician who is also certified in aromatherapy. We recommend getting internal dosing instructions from a licensed physician as some essential oils are not recommended for oral consumption. This is in no way a reflection on our oil quality, only a matter of safety and caution with respect to how concentrated essential oils are. When used within safe parameters, and under your physician's care, the quality of our essential oils is such that they can be used internally if deemed appropriate.
However, with that said, it is important to remember the extreme concentration of essential oils. "Using essential oils by rubbing them into the skin or via inhalation is in many cases more effective than oral delivery" (Schnaubelt 96).
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion.
The results of this study demonstrated that 13 essential oils "completely inhibited the growth of H.pylori in vitro" (petri dish). It goes on to say that in in vivo studies (basically the study with the living organism) "the density of H. pylori in the stomach of mice treated with Lemongrass was significantly reduced compared with untreated mice."Lemongrass Potential for Fungal Infections and Skin Inflammation (PubMed) Antifungal Activity Against Candida spp. in Vitro (PubMed) Antimicrobial Activity of Essential Oils Against Staphylococcus aureus Biofilms. (PubMed)
Of the nineteen essential oils studies, Lemongrass was the second most effective, preceded by Thyme and followed by Vetiver.
"Some cellular adaptation to thyme oil was detected. Therefore, essential oil-based treatments should be based on the rotation and combination of different essential oils or with other biocides to prevent the emergence of antimicrobial-resistant strains."
"Our findings verified the safety of lemongrass [essential oil] intake at the doses used [2 drops] in folk medicine and indicated the beneficial effect of reducing the blood cholesterol level."
Lemongrass Essential Oil and Cancer (PubMed)
Anticancer Activity of an Essential Oil from Cymbopogon flexuosus (PubMed In Vitro Study)
"Our results indicate that the oil has a promising anticancer activity and causes loss in tumor cell viability by activating the apoptotic process as identified by electron microscopy."
Lemon Grass Fields in Israel Become Mecca for Cancer Patients (by Allison Kaplan Sommer)
For more information on Lemongrass click here.
Deodorizing Linen Spray:
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- 1/8 tsp rubbing alcohol
- 5 drops distilled white vinegar
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil
- 5 drops Lemongrass essential oil
Container: Empty 8z spray bottle
Mix all ingredients together in spray bottle. Shake well before use.
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion. It is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a licensed physician who is also certified in aromatherapy.
The usage of this oil should be restricted while pregnant and breastfeeding. Tisserand cautions the oral use of Lemongrass and recommends that topical use be restricted to 0.7% maximum during pregnancy due to citral (could affect fetal development in high topical doses).
Not suitable for use on babies under 2
Contraindicated with medications metabolized by CYP2B6 (drugs such as Bupropion antidepressant and Tamoxifen; ask your pharmacist if you are uncertain), Diabetes medication (do not take orally).
Caution topically with hypersensitive, diseased or damaged skin.
May interact with analgesic, anticonvulsant, and antidepressant, some chemotherapy medications.
If for any reason you get essential oils in your eyes, put carrier oil along the eyebrows above the eyes and on the cheekbones below the eyes.
Do not put essential oils inside your ear canal.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
GC/MS Key Constituents
Caryophyllene <trans> 3.26%
- Worwood, Valerie. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. Novato: New World Library. Revised 2016. Print.
- Worwood, Valerie. Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child. Novato: New World Library. 2000. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Advanced Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1998. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 2011. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Medical Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1999. Print.
- Price, Shirley. Price, Len. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. Fourth edition, 2012. Print.
- Tisserand, Robert, et al. Essential Oil Safety: a Guide for Health Care Professionals. Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2014. Print.
- Aletha Press. Essential Oils Natural Remedies: The Complete A-Z Reference of Essential Oils for Health and Healing. Berkeley: Aletha Press. 2015. Print.
- Davis, Patricia. Aromatherapy an A-Z. London: Vermillion. 2000. Print.
- Higley, Connie & Alan. Reference Guide for Essential Oils. Spanish Fork: Abundant Life. 2012. Print.
- Purchon, Nerys and Lora Cantele. The Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook For Everyday Wellness. Toronto: Robert Rose. 2014. Print.
- Buckle, Jane. Clinical Aromatherapy Essential Oils in Practice. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2003. Print.
Selah Oils ships via USPS, which typically has a 3-5 day delivery time. Your order will ship in 1-2 business days.
United States: We offer FREE shipping for orders over $59. Orders under $59 are $6 for flat rate shipping.
Canada: $10.00 flat rate shipping.