Patchouli Essential Oil*
*This oil is produced from organically grown crops and is certified by our supplier. However, our facility is not certified organic. You get it though. ;-)
The velvety smooth, earthy aroma of Patchouli is one of the most well known fragrances in the art of body and skin care. This warm, rich oil is soothing, calming and uplifting. Patchouli is a lovely base note to use a a foundation for a wide variety of blends or on its own.
Botanical Name: Pogostemon cablin
Plant Origin: Indonesia
Extraction Method: Steam distilled from leaves (certified organic by our supplier)
Shelf Life: Thickens and changes with age but doesn't expire. Vintage Patchouli is often sought for its deep aroma.
Storage: Store upright, lid tight, out of direct heat and sunlight
Selah oil blends that contain Patchouli essential oil:
Patchouli may support the body's proper natural response to and assist in maintaining a healthy state of the following:
- Anxiety & Panic
- Body Odor
- Candida - Candidiasis - Thrush - Yeast Overgrowth - Yeast Infection
- Fungal Skin Infections - Skin Candida - Ringworm
- Morning Sickness - Nausea During Pregnancy
- Motion Sickness
- Sagging Skin
- Stretch Marks
Please see our Health Issues Reference Guide for detailed essential oil remedies for the above-listed issues/topics.
For more information on Patchouli essential oil click here
- antidepressant - alleviates depression
- antifungal - prevents fungal growth
- anti-infectious - prevents uptake of infection
- anti-inflammatory - reduces inflammation
- antimicrobial - resists or destroys pathogenic microorganisms
- antiseptic - destroys and prevents the development of microbes/bacteria
- astringent - causes contraction of organic tissues, reducing secretions or discharges
- calmative - a sedative or mild tranquilizer
- cicatrizing - promotes the formation of scar tissue, thus healing
- cytophylactic - referring to cytophylaxis; the process of increasing the activity of leucocytes to defend the body against infection
- insect deterrent
- nervine - soothing and toning to the nerves and nervous system
Topical:Apply diluted to the affected area as desired. Ok for children 2+ with proper dilution. Pregnancy and lactation safe with extra dilution. Click here for the essential oils dilution chart.
Diffuse or inhale directly.
Internal:Although the quality of Selah Oils is excellent, it is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a certified physician who is also certified in aromatherapy. We recommend getting internal dosing instructions from a licensed physician as some essential oils are not recommended for oral consumption. This is in no way a reflection on our oil quality, only a matter of safety and caution with respect to how concentrated essential oils are. When used within safe parameters, and under your physician's care, the quality of our essential oils is such that they can be used internally if deemed appropriate. However, with that said, it is important to remember the extreme concentration of essential oils. "Using essential oils by rubbing them into the skin or via inhalation is in many cases more effective than oral delivery" (7. p.96).
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion.
Do not use Patchouli in cases of anorexia or with elderly people who have lost their appetite as it can reduce appetite.
Patchouli may inhibit blood clotting - caution when using anticoagulant medications (aspirin, heparin, warfarin, etc.). Avoid use one week before and after a major surgery or childbirth. Avoid with hemophilia, peptic ulcers, and other bleeding disorders.
General EO Cautions:
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion. It is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a licensed physician who is also certified in aromatherapy.
If for any reason you get essential oils in your eyes, put carrier oil along the eyebrows above the eyes and on the cheekbones below the eyes.
Do not put essential oils inside your ear canal.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
GC/MS Key Constituents:
Bulnesene <alpha> 18.46%
Guaiene <alpha> 12.93%
Patchoulene <alpha> 4.64% Caryophyllene 3.02%
Patchoulene <beta-> 2.67%
- Worwood, Valerie. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. Novato: New World Library. Revised 2016. Print.
- Worwood, Valerie. Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child. Novato: New World Library. 2000. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Advanced Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1998. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 2011. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Medical Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1999. Print.
- Price, Shirley. Price, Len. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. Fourth edition, 2012. Print.
- Tisserand, Robert, et al. Essential Oil Safety: a Guide for Health Care Professionals. Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2014. Print.
- Aletha Press. Essential Oils Natural Remedies: The Complete A-Z Reference of Essential Oils for Health and Healing. Berkeley: Aletha Press. 2015. Print.
- Davis, Patricia. Aromatherapy an A-Z. London: Vermillion. 2000. Print.
- Higley, Connie & Alan. Reference Guide for Essential Oils. Spanish Fork: Abundant Life. 2012. Print.
- Purchon, Nerys and Lora Cantele. The Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook For Everyday Wellness. Toronto: Robert Rose. 2014. Print.
- Buckle, Jane. Clinical Aromatherapy Essential Oils in Practice. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2003. Print.
Selah Oils ships via USPS, which typically has a 3-5 day delivery time. Your order will ship in 1-2 business days.
United States: We offer FREE shipping for orders over $59. Orders under $59 are $6 for flat rate shipping.
Canada: $10.00 flat rate shipping.