Geranium Essential Oil*
*This oil is produced from unsprayed crops - meaning that it is organically grown but not certified.
Geranium is a sweet, wood-scented oil that is widely known for its versatility and is popularly used to assist in balancing hormones. This soothing and relaxing oil lends itself remarkably to skincare and holistic hygiene. It can also be used effectively against Candida albicans and other fungi as it specifically targets the harmful bacteria, but does not affect the good bacteria in the body.
*With so many of our customers choosing our 100% pure oils for internal use (though we recommend it only under the guidance of your healthcare practitioner), we felt it necessary to change our source for Geranium oil. We now proudly offer the prized Geranium Oil of Reunion Island. This change has resulted in a price increase, however, this decision was made as we strive to maintain our mission of offering you only 100% pure oils of the finest quality available on the market today.
Botanical Name: Pelargonium x asperum - (also referred to as Pelargonium graveolens)
Plant Origin: Reunion Island
Extraction Method: Steam distilled from leaves (organically grown but not certified)
Shelf Life: 5 yrs in proper storage, will thicken as it ages
Storage: Store upright, lid tight, out of direct heat and sunlight
2-3% for daily application, up to 25% for short-term use
Selah oil blends that contain Geranium essential oil:
Geranium may support the body's proper natural response to and assist in maintaining a healthy state of the following:
- Acne Scarring
- Anal Fissures (Tears)
- Anger & Aggression
- Anxiety & Panic
- Athlete's Foot
- Black Eye
- Blood - Bleeding - Stop Bleeding
- Blood Pressure - High
- Body Odor
- Candida - Candidiasis - Thrush - Yeast Overgrowth - Yeast Infection
- Chapped Lips or Skin
- Clogged Pores
- Cough - Mucus
- Cystitis (Bladder Infection, Urinary Tract Infection, UTI)
- Dysmenorrhea - Painful Menstruation
- Ears - Ringing - Hearing Impairment - Tinnitus
- Fungal Skin Infections - Skin Candida - Ringworm
- Headache (Nervous or Tension Headache)
- Herpes Simplex - Cold Sores - Fever Blisters
- Herpes Zoster - Shingles
- Hormone Balance
- Insect Bite or Sting - Tick (Repels)
- Insect Repellent
- Lack of Libido for For Women
- Liver - Detox Support
- Malaria - Prevention
- Muscle - Bruised, Sore, Tight, etc.
- Neuralgia (Nerve Pain) - Discontinued Pins & Needles Recipe
- Nose Bleed
- Prickly Heat - Heat Rash
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) & Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
- Raynaud's Disease
- Sagging Skin
- Sexual Topics - Libido - Sex Drive - Intimacy
- Shock - Trauma
- Staph (MRSA)
- Strep Throat
- Stretch Marks
- Tick Repellent
- Varicose Veins - Spider Veins
Please see our Health Issues Reference Guide for detailed essential oil remedies for the above-listed issues/topics.
For more information about Geranium essential oil click here.
- analgesic - deadens or relieves pain; anodyne
- antibacterial - prevents bacterial growth
- antidepressant - alleviates depression
- antifungal - prevents fungal growth
- anti-infectious - prevents uptake of infection
- anti-inflammatory - reduces inflammation
- antiseptic - destroys and prevents the development of microbes/bacteria
- antispasmodic - prevents and eases spasms, convulsions, or cramps
- astringent - causes contraction of organic tissues, reducing secretions or discharges
- circulatory - promotes flow of blood and lymph
- hemostatic (stops bleeding) - arrests bleeding
- nervine - soothing and toning to the nerves and nervous system
- restorative - helps strengthen and revive the body systems
- spasmolytic - antispasmodic
- stimulant - excites or quickens the activity of physiological processes
- tonic - strengthens or invigorates organs or the entire organism
- vulnerary - heals wounds and sores by external application
Apply diluted to bottoms of feet or directly on area of concern.
Ok for children 2+ with proper dilution.
Pregnancy and lactation safe with extra dilution.
Click here for the essential oils dilution chart.
Diffuse or inhale directly.
Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) by the FDA
Although the quality of Selah Oils is excellent, it is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a certified physician who is also certified in aromatherapy. We recommend getting internal dosing instructions from a licensed physician as some essential oils are not recommended for oral consumption. This is in no way a reflection on our oil quality, only a matter of safety and caution with respect to how concentrated essential oils are. When used within safe parameters, and under your physician's care, the quality of our essential oils is such that they can be used internally if deemed appropriate.
However, with that said, it is important to remember the extreme concentration of essential oils. "Using essential oils by rubbing them into the skin or via inhalation is in many cases more effective than oral delivery" (7. p.96).
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion.
Contraindicated orally with diabetes medication and meds metabolized by CYP2B6 substrates (like Bupropion antidepressant and Tamoxifen). If unsure, ask your pharmacist or physician.
Dilute before applying to skin.
Low risk of skin sensitization. Drug interaction. (Tisserand, 293)
Repeated use can result in contact sensitization.
General EO Cautions:
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion. It is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a licensed physician who is also certified in aromatherapy.
If for any reason you get essential oils in your eyes, put carrier oil along the eyebrows above the eyes and on the cheekbones below the eyes.
Do not put essential oils inside your ear canal.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
GC/MS Key Constituents:
Geranyl formate 4.41%
Caryophyllene <trans> 2.96%
- Worwood, Valerie. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. Novato: New World Library. Revised 2016. Print.
- Worwood, Valerie. Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child. Novato: New World Library. 2000. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Advanced Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1998. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 2011. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Medical Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1999. Print.
- Price, Shirley. Price, Len. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. Fourth edition, 2012. Print.
- Tisserand, Robert, et al. Essential Oil Safety: a Guide for Health Care Professionals. Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2014. Print.
- Aletha Press. Essential Oils Natural Remedies: The Complete A-Z Reference of Essential Oils for Health and Healing. Berkeley: Aletha Press. 2015. Print.
- Davis, Patricia. Aromatherapy an A-Z. London: Vermillion. 2000. Print.
- Higley, Connie & Alan. Reference Guide for Essential Oils. Spanish Fork: Abundant Life. 2012. Print.
- Purchon, Nerys and Lora Cantele. The Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook For Everyday Wellness. Toronto: Robert Rose. 2014. Print.
- Buckle, Jane. Clinical Aromatherapy Essential Oils in Practice. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2003. Print.
Selah Oils ships via USPS, which typically has a 3-5 day delivery time. Your order will ship in 1-2 business days.
United States: We offer FREE shipping for orders over $59. Orders under $59 are $6 for flat rate shipping.
Canada: $10.00 flat rate shipping.