Peppermint Essential Oil*
*This oil is produced from unsprayed crops - meaning that it is organically grown but not certified.
Botanical Name: Mentha piperita
Plant Origin: USA
Extraction Method: Steam distilled from leaves, stems, flower buds (organically grown but uncertified)
Shelf Life: 5 years in proper storage conditions
Storage: Store upright, lid tight, out of direct heat and sunlight
Recommended Adult Topical Dilution: 1-2%
Maximum Adult Topical Dilution: 5%
Selah oil blends that contain Peppermint:
The 10 mL roll-on is in a base of fractionated coconut oil (diluted at 5%).
Peppermint may support the body's proper natural response to and assist in maintaining a healthy state of the following:
- Abdominal Pain (Upper Region)
- Adrenal Glands - Addison’s Disease - Schmidt's Syndrome
- Allergies - Food Allergies - Seasonal Allergies - Hay Fever
- Back Pain
- Body Odor
- Colon, Colitis
- Crohn's Disease
- Diarrhea (Food, Viruses/Infection)
- Dysmenorrhea - Painful Menstruation
- Food Poisoning
- Gas, Flatulence
- Gingivitis - Gum Disease - Periodontal Disease
- Halitosis - Bad Breath
- Herpes Simplex - Cold Sores - Fever Blisters
- Herpes Zoster - Shingles
- Hot Flashes
- Hypothyroid - Hashimoto's Disease
- Insect Bite or Sting - General (Ant, Bee, Hornet, Mosquito, Wasp, etc.)
- Insect Bite or Sting - Tick
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Enteritis
- Malaria - Prevention
- Motion Sickness
- Muscle - Bruised, Sore, Tight, etc.
- Neuralgia (Nerve Pain) - Discontinued Pins & Needles Recipe
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) & Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
- Respiratory Infection
- Sagging Skin
- Shock - Trauma
- Stomach Flu
- Strep Throat
- Varicose Veins - Spider Veins
- Viral Infection
Please see our Health Issues Reference Guide for detailed essential oil remedies for the above-listed issues/topics.
More information on Peppermint essential oil click here.
- analgesic - deadens or relieves pain; anodyne
- antibacterial - prevents bacterial growth
- anti-infectious - prevents uptake of infection
- anti-inflammatory - reduces inflammation
- antiseptic - destroys and prevents the development of microbes/bacteria
- antispasmodic - prevents and eases spasms, convulsions, or cramps
- antiviral - inhibits the growth of virus
- carminative - expels gas (flatulence), easing abdominal pain and bloating
- cholagogue - stimulates the secretion and flow of bile into the duodenum
- circulatory - promotes flow of blood and lymph
- decongestant - reduces congestion such as mucus
- digestive - promotes or aids digestion
- emmenagogue - promotes or assists menstruation
- stimulant - excites or quickens the activity of physiological processes
- stomachic - digestive aid and tonic; improving the appetite
- tonic - strengthens or invigorates organs or the entire organism
Apply diluted directly on area of concern or on bottoms of feet. Avoid tender skin areas. Dilute before applying to skin. This oil is a "hot" oil.
Ok for children 6+ with proper dilution and avoiding the face and neck areas.
Pregnancy and lactation safe with extra dilution.
Click here for the essential oils dilution chart.
Diffuse or inhale directly.
Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) by the FDA
Although the quality of Selah Oils is excellent, it is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a certified physician who is also certified in aromatherapy. We recommend getting internal dosing instructions from a licensed physician as some essential oils are not recommended for oral consumption. This is in no way a reflection on our oil quality, only a matter of safety and caution with respect to how concentrated essential oils are. When used within safe parameters, and under your physician's care, the quality of our essential oils is such that they can be used internally if deemed appropriate.
However, with that said, it is important to remember the extreme concentration of essential oils. "Using essential oils by rubbing them into the skin or via inhalation is in many cases more effective than oral delivery" (Schnaubelt 96).
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion.
Peppermint oil will antidote Homeopathic remedies. Please use caution when combining oils with homeopathy.
A note about Peppermint oil and Pregnancy: We have found that several professionals recommend that peppermint not be used by pregnant women. However, Tisserand and Price both categorize peppermint as ok. In an effort to give you only the best information possible, we contacted Mr. Tisserand and asked his opinion regarding peppermint essential oil and pregnancy. This was his reply:
“I have always believed that if peppermint oil was risky in pregnancy there would need to be warnings on peppermint-flavored gum and candy. There is evidence that menthol is safe in pregnancy (p. 592 of my book) and there's none that I am aware of that either menthol or peppermint poses any risk. If others think differently, I don't know what their thinking is based on.”
Use with caution if dealing with high blood pressure or cardiac fibrillation.
Use with caution during breastfeeding as it may reduce milk supply.
Do not apply to or near the face of infants and children or other inhalation methods under the age of 6 (can cause breathing problems in babies and young children).
General EO Cautions:
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion. It is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a licensed physician who is also certified in aromatherapy.
If for any reason you get essential oils in your eyes, put carrier oil along the eyebrows above the eyes and on the cheekbones below the eyes.
Do not put essential oils inside your ear canal.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
GC/MS Key Constituents:
Menthol Acetate 3.80%
Menthone <iso> 3.13%
Menthol <neo> 2.79%
Caryophyllene <trans> 1.68%
- Worwood, Valerie. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. Novato: New World Library. Revised 2016. Print.
- Worwood, Valerie. Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child. Novato: New World Library. 2000. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Advanced Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1998. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 2011. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Medical Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1999. Print.
- Price, Shirley. Price, Len. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. Fourth edition, 2012. Print.
- Tisserand, Robert, et al. Essential Oil Safety: a Guide for Health Care Professionals. Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2014. Print.
- Aletha Press. Essential Oils Natural Remedies: The Complete A-Z Reference of Essential Oils for Health and Healing. Berkeley: Aletha Press. 2015. Print.
- Davis, Patricia. Aromatherapy an A-Z. London: Vermillion. 2000. Print.
- Higley, Connie & Alan. Reference Guide for Essential Oils. Spanish Fork: Abundant Life. 2012. Print.
- Purchon, Nerys and Lora Cantele. The Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook For Everyday Wellness. Toronto: Robert Rose. 2014. Print.
- Buckle, Jane. Clinical Aromatherapy Essential Oils in Practice. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2003. Print.
Selah Oils ships via USPS, which typically has a 3-5 day delivery time. Your order will ship in 1-2 business days.
United States: We offer FREE shipping for orders over $59. Orders under $59 are $6 for flat rate shipping.
Canada: $10.00 flat rate shipping.
I love how the oils smell pure & I love how there was a Bible verse on the card that came with my order!! I will definitely be ordering from them in the future!!
the best of oils
I tried Selah oils for the first time and I love it! it has a fresh nice smell and we like it better then the running brands! thanks Selah oils, and also appreciate your testimony!
Always great, pure, organic oils!
Peppermint can help take the edge off of headaches.
Lovely smell, very soothing
We made our first Selah order and were incredibly impressed. The peppermint smelled like lovely tea and was wonderful for inhalation with my nerves. Will be buying again!
helpful and affordable
This is WONDERFUL to help our kids when they feel sick or have a headache! I made candles with it as the main scent and they are so soothing!