Wintergreen Essential Oil*
*This oil is wildcrafted (and therefore about as organic as it can possibly get) - certified by our supplier. However, our facility is not certified organic. You get it though. ;-)
Botanical Name: Gaultheria procumbens
Plant Origin: Nepal
Extraction Method: Steam distilled from leaves, wildcrafted
Shelf Life: 7 years in proper storage conditions
Storage: Store upright, lid tight, out of direct heat and sunlight
Maximum Adult Topical Dilution: 2.4%
Selah oil blends that contain Wintergreen essential oil:
Apply diluted directly on area of concern or on bottoms of feet. Avoid face and tender skin areas. Diltuion is important as this oil is a "hot" oil.
Not suitable for children under 8.
Not suitable during pregnancy and lactation.
Click here for the essential oils dilution chart.
Diffuse or place a drop on a cotton ball or tissue and inhale.
NOT recommended for oral consumption.
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion. It is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a licensed physician who is also certified in aromatherapy.
"Wintergreen [birch] oil has some wonderful properties, but I would not like to see it used at more than 5%. No one has died from dermal [topical] application, but there have been at least three reported cases of people taking blood-thinning medication who broke out in internal bruising when they applied methyl salicylate-containing products to their skin. It enhances the blood-thinning action of the drug, and blood leaks out of the blood vessels." -Tisserand
Wintergreen: Contraindicated if taking anticoagulant medication, having major surgery, and all other bleeding disorders. Do not use if pregnant, breastfeeding, or with children due to possible risk of developing Reye's syndrome. Do not use if there is a salicylate sensitivity or ADD/ADHD. Do not use orally if a history of Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Numerous cases of salicylate poisoning have been reported.
If for any reason you get essential oils in your eyes, put carrier oil along the eyebrows above the eyes and on the cheekbones below the eyes.
Do not put essential oils inside your ear canal.
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Worwood, Valerie. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. Novato: New World Library. Revised 2016. Print.
- Worwood, Valerie. Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child. Novato: New World Library. 2000. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Advanced Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1998. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 2011. Print.
- Schnaubelt, Kurt, Ph. D. Medical Aromatherapy. Rochester: Healing Arts Press. 1999. Print.
- Price, Shirley. Price, Len. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. Fourth edition, 2012. Print.
- Tisserand, Robert, et al. Essential Oil Safety: a Guide for Health Care Professionals. Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2014. Print.
- Aletha Press. Essential Oils Natural Remedies: The Complete A-Z Reference of Essential Oils for Health and Healing. Berkeley: Aletha Press. 2015. Print.
- Davis, Patricia. Aromatherapy an A-Z. London: Vermillion. 2000. Print.
- Higley, Connie & Alan. Reference Guide for Essential Oils. Spanish Fork: Abundant Life. 2012. Print.
- Purchon, Nerys and Lora Cantele. The Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook For Everyday Wellness. Toronto: Robert Rose. 2014. Print.
- Buckle, Jane. Clinical Aromatherapy Essential Oils in Practice. New York: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier. 2003. Print.
Selah Oils ships via USPS, which typically has a 3-5 day delivery time. Your order will ship in 1-2 business days.
United States: We offer FREE shipping for orders over $59. Orders under $59 are $6 for flat rate shipping.
Canada: $10.00 flat rate shipping.