Lavender Essential Oil
Dating back further than the records of mankind can prove, Lavender provides the widest range of assistance to the body for healing, yet remains the gentlest of all essential oils. Lavender has been used for centuries for its soothing and restorative properties and its peacefully strengthening effect on the body.
The floral fragrance of this wild lavender is delightfully cleansing while still being delicate and calming.
Lavender is a truly priceless oil and an indispensable part of the at-home essential oil collection.
Botanical Name: Lavandula angustifolia
Plant Origin: France, wild crafted
Extraction Method: Steam distilled from flowering tops (organic, but not certified)
Selah oil blends that contain Lavender essential oil:
The 10mL roll-on is in a base of fractionated coconut oil (diluted at 5%).
Shelf Life: Neat: 6 yrs in proper storage conditions; Roll-On: 2 yrs
Storage: Store upright, lid tight, out of direct heat and sunlight
Lavender may support the body's proper natural response to and assist in maintaining a healthy state of the following:
- abdominal cramps
- anxiety, depression, nervousness, panic issues, tension, etc.
- blood pressure (lowers)
- burns, minor
- calming to central nervous system
- disinfecting properties
- E. coli (see article)
- hair follicles
- inflammatory conditions
- intestinal dysbiosis
- muscles: contractions, cramps, spasms
- night Terrors
- postpartum: perineal tearing (take multiple, short 15 baths or sitz baths daily with several drops lavender)
- pregnancy: labor and delivery (massage into lower back to reduce pain, strengthen contractions, and speed labor)
- skin care (daily)
- skin irritation and inflammatory conditions
- skin: bruises, burns, cuts, eczema (stress-related), infection, irritation, inflammation, itching, grazes, psoriasis (nervous), rashes, scars, sunburn (minor), wounds
- insect bites and stings/insect deterrent
- sinus Congestion
- analgesic - deadens or relieves pain; anodyne
- anthelmintic - destroys or expels worms and parasites; vermifuge
- antibacterial - prevents bacterial growth
- antidepressant - alleviates depression
- anti-infectious - prevents uptake of infection
- anti-inflammatory - reduces inflammation
- antimicrobial - resists or destroys pathogenic microorganisms
- antiseptic - destroys and prevents the development of microbes/bacteria
- antispasmodic - prevents and eases spasms, convulsions, or cramps
- antivenomous - used against the effects of venom
- calmative - a sedative or mild tranquilizer
- carminative - expels gas (flatulence), easing abdominal pain and bloating
- cicatrisant - promotes healing by the formation of scar tissue
- detoxifying - assist in the removal of toxins
- diuretic - aids in removal of excess water from the body; promotes urination
- expectorant - promotes the discharge of mucous from the respiratory system
- sedative - soothing agent that reduces nervousness, distress, or irritation
- soporific - substance which induces sleep
- spasmolytic - antispasmodic
- stimulant - excites or quickens the activity of physiological processes
- stomachic - digestive aid and tonic; improving the appetite
- vulnerary - heals wounds and sores by external application
For more information take a look at our blog post here.
Apply diluted on location as desired.
Safe for babies and children with proper dilution.
Pregnancy and lactation safe with extra dilution.
Click here for the essential oils dilution chart.
Diffuse or inhale directly.
Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) by the FDA
Although the quality of Selah Oils is excellent, it is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a certified physician who is also certified in aromatherapy. We recommend getting internal dosing instructions from a licensed physician as some essential oils are not recommended for oral consumption. This is in no way a reflection on our oil quality, only a matter of safety and caution with respect to how concentrated essential oils are. When used within safe parameters, and under your physician's care, the quality of our essential oils is such that they can be used internally if deemed appropriate.
However, with that said, it is important to remember the extreme concentration of essential oils. "Using essential oils by rubbing them into the skin or via inhalation is in many cases more effective than oral delivery" (Schnaubelt 96).
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion.
All cautions listed for individual oils do not include those cautions from ingestion. It is not advised to take essential oils internally unless under the guidance of a licensed physician who is also certified in aromatherapy.
If for any reason you get essential oils in your eyes, put carrier oil along the eyebrows above the eyes and on the cheekbones below the eyes.
Do not put essential oils inside the ear canal.
GC/MS Key Constituents:
Linalyl acetate 42.67%
Lavandulyl acetate 4.26%
Caryophyllene <trans> 1.14%
Higley, Connie & Alan. Reference Guide for Essential Oils (2012).
Tisserand, Robert. Essential Oil Safety, Second Ed. (2014).
Althea Press. Essential oils, Natural Remedies: The Complete A-Z Reference of Essential Oils for Health and Healing (2015).
Purchon, Nerys and Lora Cantele. The Complete Aromatherapy & Essential Oil Handbook for Everyday Wellness (2014).
Worwood, Valerie. Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child (2000).
Worwood, Valerie. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy (1991).
Buckle, Jane. Clinical Aromatherapy Essential Oils in Practice (2003).
Davis, Patricia. Aromatherapy: An A-Z (2000).
Price, Shirley & Len. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals (2012).
Schnaubelt, Ph.D., Kurt. The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils (2011).
Schnaubelt, Ph.D., Kurt. Advanced Aromatherapy (1995).
Schnaubelt, Ph.D., Kurt. Medical Aromatherapy (1999).
Selah Oils ships via USPS, which typically has a 3-5 day delivery time. Your order will ship in 1-2 business days.
United States: We offer FREE shipping for orders over $49. Orders under $49 are $6 for flat rate shipping.
Canada: $10.00 flat rate shipping.